Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Speech Response: Legalization of Hemp

I think I probably choose to do my speech on the legalization of hemp mostly because I was raised to be very environmentally aware, and so topics about that advocate for the a cleaner environment have a lot of meaning to me.   The legalization of hemp is something that I read a lot about and heard a lot about up at the hemp shop in downtown Burlington.  I think that environmental topics are also very good for the reason that everybody can connect to them when they attend a really pristine campus.  We all watch the news and hear about global warming, and in many different ways through out my speech I showed by either needing less trees to be cut down, or just by reducing emission out puts in various ways could help prevent that.  And when you talk about something that your listener can connect to, its always much more interesting that a story about someone or something they've never heard of (a lesson learned from my friend who talks to much).

I decided to sort of build my speech around all the benefits that hemp can give us; including more recyclable and easier to grow paper source, addition to textile fabrics, low emission bio-fuel, food, and more.  Then after showing all the benefits of hemp I looked at why it is not legal (because of the THC in it) and proved that the reason it was not legal before, is no longer an issue because of the way the plants have been bred (low-THC hemp breeds).  I know that bio-fuels are looked at as a relatively better source of fuel for the environment than oil, so I put in the facts about how hemp grows one month faster (in four months) and creates ten tons of bio-fuel per acre; which is ten times more that corn can produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment